Remove this ad

zap

224 padawan

Lead

Jan 7 12 2:06 PM

Tags : :

Hi guys,
has anyone done a hardware modifiction to the st 224 ?
It could imagine to have a switch for the "loop/mark" pad, so that in playlist mode, you don't have to addionally press "loop/mark" to play the songs/patterns in loop mode.

Anyone into such stuff ?

Best Regards,
Stephan

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jan 8 12 6:06 AM

If someone had the schematics to the unit and was a circuit bending wizard, that would be no question. I'd like to see an eprom O.S. upgrade or something of the like but I'm only dreaming!!

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   

zap

224 padawan

#5 [url]

Jan 10 12 1:02 PM

Great, i already opened this thing up and had a look if it was obvious where to solder a "loop/mark" permanent switch to, but it was not so obvious. Yes, a schematic or a service manual would be of great help.
Maybe the pads contacts could be also be triggered in playlist mode with some additional wiring and something like a midi/trigger interface, so the songs/patterns of it could be sequenced.
I don't think it's possible to have an OS modification.
Too bad, since even some small enhancements to the midi spec would make this small machine even more powerful.

Cheers,
Stephan

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#6 [url]

Jan 10 12 2:18 PM

Maybe the pads contacts could be also be triggered in playlist mode with some additional wiring and something like a midi/trigger interface, so the songs/patterns of it could be sequenced.

-zap

that's what i said before: if playlist mode could be mod this could be great.
i think it's time we have to formaly write to zoom/samsung to know what thay say about a schematic for us.

Quote    Reply   

zap

224 padawan

#7 [url]

Jan 11 12 11:08 AM

that's what i said before: if playlist mode could be mod this could be great.

-ellaguru

Ah, ok. I thought you were talking about an updated midi spec / OS, sorry.
Doesn't anyone know some circuit bender ? I think a good start even without the schematics could be to analyse the signals/voltage which are sent through the cables of the connector which goes from thecircuit board of the pad-contacts to the main circuit board, but htat's beyond my skills in electronics; i even don't have a volt-meter ...
Maybe we could post to some circuit bender forums for help ?

Cheers,
Stephan

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#9 [url]

Jan 11 12 4:37 PM

one think I always thought would be neat would be to create a control interface that used arcade style buttons instead of the rubber ones. that would be damn cool

Board Certified Funk Master

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 12 12 6:33 AM

I sent Samson/Zoom an email last night requesting the service manual/schematics for our beloved 224 stating that an internal battery had died in mine and that I wished to repair it. I hope someone gets back to me!

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

zap

224 padawan

#14 [url]

Jan 25 12 2:53 PM

ellaguru, you were right, i got an answer which looks promising.

Any news on the request for the schematics ? Would be great to have them, but i think i'll buy a volt-meter and check whats going inside when triggering the pads.

I can already imagine triggering the sampletraks patterns .... ;)

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#15 [url]

Jan 25 12 3:24 PM

ellaguru, you were right, i got an answer which looks promising.
Any news on the request for the schematics ? Would be great to have them, but i think i'll buy a volt-meter and check whats going inside when triggering the pads.
I can already imagine triggering the sampletraks patterns .... ;)

-zap

great!
hope we will have some answer about the schematics...
RP please whats the email address for zoom? i can send one message too...

Quote    Reply   

zap

224 padawan

#16 [url]

Feb 4 12 4:00 PM

back with some news:
risking the precious life of my sampletrack, i found out, that short circuting each of the 8 connections on the CN4 - connector on the pad's pcb with some other spot (a few give the wanted triggering behaviour, others do strange things) on this pcb will do the triggerering of the pads. This is also working with playlist mode, so the songs can be triggered. Short circuting directly at the pads would have been the easiest solution, but theres no nice place for soldering some additional cables, so the CN4 connector looks fine to add some additional wireing.
So i think next thing will be ordering this thing: http://www.touched-by-sound.com/de/Keyboards-39704-Dtronics_MTrig_V2_Midi_to_Trigger_interface.html which was suggested kindly over at http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51586.html and then give the sampletrak a second midi in ;)

I'll keep you updated.

Cheers,
Zap

PS: to anyone reading this: If you open up your sampletrak and do stuff like described above you should know what you are doing ! Do at your own risk !

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Feb 5 12 6:17 PM

Excellent work, Zap. Thanks for sacrificing your ST for the betterment of our collective. I hope this process and surgery proves to bring you (and us ) some fruitful results!!

Let us know how this works. I have no technical and soldering knowledge at all so this is interesting to see and learn. So, this mod will let you do some more intensive MIDI work?

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   

zap

224 padawan

#19 [url]

Feb 6 12 5:24 AM

The additional midi to trigger device, which is needed will have it's own midi in and respond to certain midi note on messages (notes 36 to 58 (c2 to a#3)) . Dunno if this interferes with midi note messages usually received by the sampletrak. If otherwise, the midi signals could be mereged, since the midi to trigger device also can do midi thru. It should also be possible to merge the midi messages by using different midi channels (on the sampletrak itself and the midi2trigger).

@rp:The mod will (hopefully) let you simulate the pad action via midi, thus beeing able to trigger songs when sampletrak is in playlist mode.

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#20 [url]

Feb 6 12 6:19 AM

The additional midi to trigger device, which is needed will have it's own midi in and respond to certain midi note on messages (notes 36 to 58 (c2 to a#3)) . Dunno if this interferes with midi note messages usually received by the sampletrak. If otherwise, the midi signals could be mereged, since the midi to trigger device also can do midi thru. It should also be possible to merge the midi messages by using different midi channels (on the sampletrak itself and the midi2trigger).

-zap

ok thanks for explaining this.
so, basically, with this "new" midi in we can trigger patterns/songs if i understand well...(more technically: we have to connect midi trigger pins to "playlist command" or "pattern command" or something like that?-sorry but i'm not technical at all at the endgrin)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help