Remove this ad

formal

224 ninja

Lead

Oct 5 09 5:23 PM

Tags : :

It's time to break out the costumes. Halloween is right around the corner and just in time for another st224 battle! Ellaguru suggested American Werewolf in London as a potential film to get some samples for the battle. I was able to dig up a good version of the soundtrack, so in celebration of the Orange & Black holiday I felt like passing some candy out for the children.

That's right, candy!

In this battle you can pick from any of the 3 tracks below to create your entry!!! (yummm candy)
You are able to select your own drums and use a synth for bass. In the spirit of the battle it is encourage to only use the 224.
wink

Let the fun begin and enjoy the tunes! Remember, you are not limited to just selecting one of the samples so go on a mad chopping spree!

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

formal

224 ninja

#1 [url]

Oct 5 09 5:29 PM

Wow!!.... I just realized on the last battle track, the one that has the dialog, the voice is the same as the announcer from Crazy Taxi the arcade/video game.

..... maybe it's not the same guy, but it's damn close!!

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#4 [url]

Oct 6 09 1:44 PM

It's time to break out the costumes. Halloween is right around the corner and just in time for another st224 battle! Ellaguru suggested American Werewolf in London as a potential film to get some samples for the battle. I was able to dig up a good version of the soundtrack, so in celebration of the Orange & Black holiday I felt like passing some candy out for the children.
That's right, candy!
In this battle you can pick from any of the 3 tracks below to create your entry!!! (yummm candy)You are able to select your own drums and use a synth for bass. In the spirit of the battle it is encourage to only use the 224.[image]
Let the fun begin and enjoy the tunes! Remember, you are not limited to just selecting one of the samples so go on a mad chopping spree!
[image]
Attachment: A04 - Meco - The Boys.mp3 (6245.0KB)
Attachment: B03 - Meco - Werewolf (Loose in London).mp3 (7234.0KB)
Attachment: B04 - Meco - Werewolf Serenade.mp3 (7956.0KB)

-formal

this film is great, have you seen it?
jhon landis at his best.
ok, blues brothers and animal house are The Top, but this rocks too!

i need a little technic adivice (first battle here, sorry): can we use external machines (or pc) to doing EQ or compressor, or simply can we play ST sounds going filtered through other machines (ex.: st224 out>mpc1000-or whatever- in>recorders)?
when is the deadline?

thanx

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#9 [url]

Oct 19 09 9:32 PM

Pros:  I'm lovin the melody on this! I like your use of the filters as well. Good chops too, nice take on the sample. This is super dirty, I dig the lofi-ness of it. The vocal chop fits in perfect.

Cons:  The mix could use some work. The bass was crazy loud and there was some clipping in parts. You might try to filter the bass or make a fake ADSR fade with the volume knob to smooth it out.

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#10 [url]

Oct 20 09 1:07 AM

Cons:  The mix could use some work. The bass was crazy loud and there was some clipping in parts. You might try to filter the bass or make a fake ADSR fade with the volume knob to smooth it out.

-formal

thanx for listening!
thanx for the advices, in reality i don't have a mixer and monitors, i filtered the sound trough a 4 track recorder with eq into my tascam digital recorder...i listen to it today, but the bass it don't seem to me that loud/noisy...could you relisten please, i want to know if i had to re-mix it...
thanx

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

lodger

Last Action Hero

#11 [url]

Oct 20 09 4:07 AM

ella,

what headphones are you using? even though mixing on headphones isn't the best (its hard to get a good stereo image) if you have a good pair of monitor headphones that can be helpful. The most important thing is that the headphones have a flat response- that is to say that the headphones do not increase or decrease any frequencies or make the music sound better than it is. Most consumer grade headphones are designed to make things sound "good" there's bass boost and other effects in play. The problem with using these for music production related tasks is that even though something sounds good on the headphones, the compensation of the drivers in the headphones may make you think that the mix sounds right when it actually is a bit off. In this respect it would be kind of like trying to paint a whole picture while wearing sunglasses tinted green; you might think that things seem right when you have the glasses on, but when you take them off, it can be a shock to see what you've created. My monitor speakers are Alesis passive monitor one (mk1) and an alesis reference amp (RA-100). My headphones are Senheiser HD 280 pro's which you can get on ebay for less than $100 American. Let me know if you (or anyone else) has monitoring related questions.

-Lodger

Board Certified Funk Master

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#12 [url]

Oct 20 09 5:18 AM

ella,
 My monitor speakers are Alesis passive monitor one (mk1) and an alesis reference amp (RA-100). My headphones are Senheiser HD 280 pro's which you can get on ebay for less than $100 American. Let me know if you (or anyone else) has monitoring related questions.
-Lodger

-lodger

thanx lodger, i mixed the track without headphones. but i will keep in mind your advice. i built up a little studio in the cellar of my house last days. the reality is that i have only a cellar to make/listen music and maybe the sound is go everywhere. so i don't know if , for that space (12m2+1,80m high), it's worth to buy monitor: maybe the results will be the same...
i eliminate from the chain the 4track analog recorder (yamaha mtx4) and there is many less noise. today i have to see a guy wich sell his yamaha mg102c mixer. i want to see if it's ok.  i used it like a sort of mixer (it has 4 ins) in order to wait to buy a real mixer. so with the add of this mixer maybe it should be better. what mixer do you use?
cheers 

edit
the Senheiser HD 280 pro are about 98€ here in france.
the Alesis passive monitor one (mk1) is about 140€    

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#13 [url]

Oct 20 09 5:40 AM

the monitors would at least be a step in the right direction. in general, although the room can color your sound, its a lot less than room+consumer grade speakers. In regard to the type to get, i'd suggest getting active monitors because you dont have to mess with the added amp...which can also color the sound if its not a reference amp.

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#17 [url]

Oct 20 09 4:32 PM

eg thanks for the feedback- im not sure what you mean by the 27 min though. at any rate, i got a chance to review your update. MUCH IMPROVED. I really like how your selection of samples and the vocal is stellar in there. work on your mixing (esp w/ monitors) and you'll be rock solid

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#18 [url]

Oct 20 09 5:51 PM

eg thanks for the feedback- im not sure what you mean by the 27 min though. at any rate, i got a chance to review your update. MUCH IMPROVED. I really like how your selection of samples and the vocal is stellar in there. work on your mixing (esp w/ monitors) and you'll be rock solid

-lodger

thanx Lodger!
but i think i stop here for the mix thing...i still don't have monitors, so this is the maximum i can do for now without the other tracks...
for the 27min: i played on the wma and it'smarked 27.03.12...if i scroll the track the timing go on...strangely until 27 minutes...in reality it end at 4'00''...
by the way is a good track, it reminds me some dj shadow good moments... 

ps
for the monitors: i think about Yamaha HS50M, flat and not passive, what do you think about ?

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#19 [url]

Oct 20 09 6:29 PM

SICK BEAT LODGER! Do you ever make anything bad?  wink

This track had a real good vibe to it. Kinda like some futuristic PeteRock ish. Nice programming on the drums too, basic but tricky enough. With some more work this track could be epic man. All it needs is a good climax and also polish up the outtro.

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#20 [url]

Oct 21 09 4:00 AM

thanks for the feedback formal! anytime your stuff gets compared to pete rock that's definately a compliment! I think i'll look into making those adjustments and will see if i can find a way of building momentum towards a climax for the track. I'm thinking if i change the pattern of the bass in the final section. I look forward to hearing your entry for the battle!

-Lodger

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help