Remove this ad

z32

Master Guru

Lead

Apr 29 09 3:45 PM

Tags : :

Is the st224 the only machine you use or not?

I started out with a boss dr550 mk2 drumcomputer and a crappy turntable/mixer.
Then I bought the zoom and that has been my main machine for a long time.
but I always used software on the side till it took over :-)
I've got fruityloops since part 2 and I use it the most of everything.
I even use it for mixing my tracks.
Got a lot of vst's and vsti's.
The Korg padKONTROL and the Novation Xio synth 49 are my controllers.
I use wavelab for all my editing, sampling and mastering.
For some reason I see my software and hardware as different things and I seldom use them together.
I go by different names for different projects.
My main allias is Eka the mad samplist.
Sometimes I use EleKtroniKa for more experimental electronic synth things and dance related music.
Another name I go by is Z32 :-)
The name means Zoom 32khz
That's when I only use my zoom, my drumcomputer, my turntable, records and tweakalizer wich I record with the Tascam dp-01fx harddisk recorder.
I use the Behringer eurorack mx1604a mixer for my hardware to send it to my harddisk recorder but it's old and I need to replace it.
For speakers I got the Behringer truth b2031p wich I like very much.
Would love to buy a pair of Genelec speakers but I don't see that happen sometime soon.
I've got a yamaha amp.
My new project is called DubStyle-10 that's when I only use the Korg DS-10 on the Nintendo DS.
I don't know why I work like this but I do and can't help it grin

I've got six mic's:

AKG d330 bt
Behringer B-1
Roland dr-221
Sennheiser md421 HN
Shure sm58 (two)

I also love keyboards they make for kids and I got a cheap casio keyboard and a really old yamaha 8 bit keyboard. It's fun to sample with loads of fx or play them through the source pad of the zoom and using the effects of the zoom plus editwheel.
I got a revox tape recorder and a big solina electric organ I inhareted from my grandma.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

juxt

Caught in the Trap

#1 [url]

Apr 29 09 4:22 PM

I use a cheap sony turntable to play records
for samplers i have the zoom sampletrak, sp404, mpc1000,  mpc2000xl, casio sk1, yamaha djx. I love samplers but i usually like using each sampler solo, not hooked together. For recorders i got the br600 digital multitrack,  tascam cassette multitrack, phillips cd recorder. I have a collection of a few old mics, 2 old dj mixers, rnc compressor

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 29 09 5:32 PM

Samplers: SP 202, MS-1, SP 303, ASR-10, EPS 16 Plus, ST 224
Drum Machines: 808 (the real deal), RZ-1
Synth: MG-1, DB 9
Mic: Perception 400
DAW: VS 840 EX
Turntables: Technics SL q200
Mixers: Realistic 32 1200 b, Gemini PMX 2200 (Jazzy Jeff Ltd. Ed.), Flash Former

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#3 [url]

Apr 29 09 5:47 PM

Samplers: Zoom Sampletrak, Casio sk-1, Akai S3000xl

hardware: Rm1x, behringer mixer, a series of consumer grade keyboards, a fender stratocaster guitar and a small practice amp, ds-10

asst pedal fx

Reason 3.0, rebirth, cubase, ableton live, a load of vst's, and a few midi controllers :)

My technics 1200s and 3,800 LP's :)

-Lodger

Board Certified Funk Master

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#4 [url]

Apr 29 09 8:27 PM

ummmm dunno where to start this...

I guess I will just keep it short and sweet.

Current Gear:

Korg ESX1 sampler
Zoom Sampletrak
2 Stanton Str8-100 turntables
Vestax 07 pro mixer
Cheap Behringer 8 channel mixer
Sony dual tape deck
Sanyo Reel to Reel
A vintage Viola style bass
A Les Paul replica electric
A few crappy casios
Shakers, tamborine, flute, xylophone, and some other percussion stuff
MXL 990 mic
Intel mac mini
16gb iphone

Gear Sold in the last 6 months (cuz I'm gettin poor these days):

ASRX (the black one)
Axiom 49 controller
Fast Track Pro interface
Washburn Acoustic
Roland SP 404
Korg d1600 hard disc recorder

Quote    Reply   

224 padawan

#5 [url]

Apr 29 09 11:54 PM

I have a low budget minimal setup.

2 Zoom Sampletraks
Ensoniq EPS 16 Plus
Akai S2000
Boss SP505
Casio CTK691

Behringer Ultramizer Pro DSP2024
Behringer Mastercom MDX4000
Behringer UltraFEX Pro
BBE Sonic Maximizer

Yamaha MD8 Multitrack

Mackie MR 5 monitors

Audacity (PC) and Garage Band (Mac) for editng and recording to computer.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 30 09 6:07 PM

As for me,
Zoom Sampletrak
Roland Sp-404
Boss Sp-202
Korg Er-1 MKII
Boss Sp-505(my brother loaned it to me but he's taking it back)
Fostex Mr-8
Numark PT-01
Software
FL Studio 8
Ableton Live
Reason 4
Loads of freeware vst's
Audacity
Wavosaur

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 21 09 2:55 PM

I just copped an RM1x on a steal.. 120 and some old ass guitar pedals. Looking to buy another ST for travel usage. Might keep it around for parts or something if need be.

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 21 09 3:26 PM

I bought it with the intention of using it as my main hardware sequencer and using it to sequence my ASR-10 and the EPS 16 Plus whenever I get it back from repair.

I love the ASR-10 but the sequencer is not so strong. It does the trick, but I've had my problems with it. I've been using the ASR's sequencer for about 5 years but need something with a bit more depth. The RM1x should solve that problem. Plus, I don't have the funds to grab an MPC 2000 or whatever. I'm trying to make quality hiphop music WITHOUT an Akai MPC. Not that I have anything against MPC's but I like going down the road(s) less traveled and moving away from the crowd.

I have a feeling now that the RM is in the picture, I can make some epic shit. Just gotta take some more time to read the manual to get a decent grasp.

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 21 09 3:30 PM

Think I can cook up some fire with the RM and an ASR, Lodger?

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

formal

224 ninja

#11 [url]

May 21 09 3:53 PM

I'm trying to make quality hiphop music WITHOUT an Akai MPC. Not that I have anything against MPC's but I like going down the road(s) less traveled and moving away from the crowd.

-rprecise28

That's the same reason I bought my korg esx1. I've used all the various major software DAWs ( OSX/WIN) over the years to do my mixes, and media projects, but once I started focusing on doing music seriously is when I found out what hardware does for me. I use the MPC vids to teach me how to use my other gear, so I have to give credit where it's due, but I know it's not the only way to make hiphop( or anything else you set your mind to). I'm sure my music would be *better if I used a DAW to tweak everything to the max, but in the end I don't see myself completing many tracks. Different strokes for different folks.... I could always just not be in that part of my (music)life right now.

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#12 [url]

May 21 09 4:09 PM

I think the big thing is to understand what it can and cant do.

Pros- the sequencer is rock solid- 120 ppqn as opposed to most mpc's 96. This basically means that everything is accurately represented as you play it. switching between sections and playing with track mutes can give you some good ideas and can be an innovative way to work, as well. It's a bit like ableton, live in that respect. there are also knobs galore to map to whatever your are controlling.

Cons: The sounds are nothing to write home about. the pad sounds aren't bad, and neither are the basses, so they are good for some things. they keys arent velocity sensitive. if you get one, make sure that it has the chip for the most recent or or it wont synch up well with other gear. I know version 2.0 has an irritating habit of reseting all program changes back to 00 when you toucgh any of the transport buttons...which can hinder your ability to just jam out without the sequencer running (without having to set everything back). Getting the chip these days is difficult, from what I understand and installing it requires soldering and other nonsense. You can not record or automate mutes/mute group changes.

The Neutral: you can name your patterns and stay organized, and it has a lot of storage room. Unfortunately, i find that the naming process is a bit cumbersome and having all of that in the middle just interrupts your groove...Pardon the crude analogy but it would be like having sex but having it interrupted when your partner gets up and walks away to check her text messages.c'mon...
 I've found it to be good for sample based stuff, but when it comes to programming in chords and complex orchestration manually, it's a little like trying to perform surgery with a swiss army knife. That sort of thing is good if you're a pianist, but if you're programming it can be more than a bit of a burden.

Truth be told I havent used mine in a while, lately i've been hitting the Sampletrak really hard...enjoying its simple, no-nonsense work flow. I think maybe sometime soon I'll have to revisit it and see if my opinions have changed. Overall, though, these days they are fairly cheap and, if they fit your style, could be worth the time, money, and effort.

Board Certified Funk Master

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 22 09 8:23 AM

"lately i've been hitting the Sampletrak really hard...enjoying its simple, no-nonsense work flow."
 - the lodge

I'm reading the SampleTrak manual for reinforcement in addition to the RM's.. I really haven't been making as much stuff on my ASR-10 surprisingly since the SampleTrak came into my life. I lusted for it after hearing it being referenced as the baby SP 1200. It definitely beats the pants off the SP 303 and I own both. The only area where the 303 dominates has to be the sequencer, though. No need to keep looping the sequences! Although that's what gives it (224) more character.. I really want to get another one.

The best tracks I've heard utilizing the ST were all submitted by ya'll. Each and everyone of you guys has got some serious tracks. I hear the beats everyday and learn something new and it keeps me motivated.

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#14 [url]

Jul 12 09 4:02 PM

Sampling:
boss sp-303,
boss sp-505,
roland sp-404 (almost sold!),
akai mpc1000black,
akai remix 16
Playing:
roland d2,
yamaha an200,
yamaha qy70,
akai xr20
Recording:
tascam dp 01 fx,
zoom mrs-4,
yamaha mt120,
philips d6350,
m-audio fast track pro
Mixing/Vynyling/Cassetting:
crapy mixer,
sony ps-j20 turntable,
philips d6350,
schneider recorder
Effecting:
zoom studio 1201,
joe meek 3q,
morley wah wah
Computering/Miding:
korg nanokey,
edirol pcr-m30,
evolution uc-16

.....to come: zoom st-224....

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#15 [url]

Jul 12 09 4:53 PM

If I ever get the chance to buy an akai remix16 I'd snag it up quick. Looks like a dope piece of kit for being "cheap" old school gear. I've only seen one Akai S20 around here, but I didn't have the cash at the time to get it. I had just bought my korg ESX.

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#16 [url]

Jul 12 09 6:28 PM

i got the remix 16 since 1996, it was my only sampler at time, when i was only an indie rocker begining to make beats/djing...
i consider it as a poor version of the sp-1200, but it got no fx, a poor sequencer without metronome, and, like the s-20 it is most for live use, but they both can be trasformed in "machines of war" using them as midi sound modules...they sound the same, something unique near mpc2000/2000xl and s-3000...

Quote    Reply   

ellaguru

Master Guru

#18 [url]

Jul 13 09 5:22 PM

hi juxt good to hear you!
yes this sampler is weird but for its time was not bad.
i forget to say that i use it without memory expansion (16mb), so it has sonly 30 sec and it don't make resampling in a boss-sp/zoom-st way: for akai this is the equivalent of changing the hz, so it resample to 32hz-16hz-8hz-4hz.

peace

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Dec 5 09 2:29 PM

Ok I'm still working with hardware. I so far have been recording everything I do to 2 tracks (L & R) onto a minidisc. From there add any more finishing touches (EQs,), then I record it through Audacity in stereo. Then I can upload my songs or burn to a disc. So currently, I am still using:

Main Sequencing
Yamaha QY-70 (I use this for sequencing and as a sound source with some of the on board sounds.)

Sound Sources: 
Akai AX-60
Yamaha CS2x
Korg MicroKorg
Kawai K4r
Casio Sk-1
Casio Sk-5
Casio Pt-10
Dubreq Stylophone
Yamaha PSS-140
Zoom RhythmTrak ST-224 (as a sound source, for rhythms, and and as an effects unit)
Yamaha RY-10
Boss DR-550

Effects/Processors:
Electrix MO-FX
Electrix Warp Factory
ART Multiverb III (If anyone has the manual for this, it would be a tremendous help!)
Next VOX-II

Master Recording and Playback:
Sony MDS-JE520
Sony MDS-DRE1
Behringer Eurorack MX-1604A
Alesis RA-150
Alesis Point Seven monitors (2)

If anyone is intersted, I have some of my most recent work up at: http://www.myspace.com/capacitor

Live electronic musicians? What an outdated concept.

Quote    Reply   

matildah

224 padawan

#20 [url]

Dec 22 09 4:04 AM

keyboards:
Korg Microkorg
M-Z3R0 (custom made circuit bent keyboard)

Sampler:
Zoom sampletrak st224

recording:
Audacity

other:
Yamaha -Soprano/Descant Baroque recorder

theres a few more bits that need adding that im expecting for christmas, or currently in the process of buying :3

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help