Remove this ad

z32

Master Guru

Lead

Apr 22 09 2:52 PM

Tags : :

Here is part three.
I selected this track because I'm from the Netherlands and I like to dig for dope records that were made in my own country (besides diggin' for anything :-)
Because we are a small country it is sometimes hard but there are some artist that are well worth listening to and sampling.
The track is called Music all in 'tune" by Pim Jacobs (piano) and Rogier van Otterloo (arranger and Orchestra conductor)

Have fun with it!

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

formal

224 ninja

#1 [url]

Apr 22 09 3:19 PM

Another great track to chop! Thanks z32 I'll proudly rep the Netherlanders on this one ;)  I put out a heads up for others to get down on the battles over at the Yahoo Sampletrak group. Maybe we'll see some new faces for this round. Good luck

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#5 [url]

Apr 23 09 8:59 PM

This is a pretty good track over all mate. I liked how almost exactly halfway thru you get things movin with the beat and a nice groove starts. For constructive feedback the melody chops could be a bit better in my opinion. Your other tracks so far were more "catchy" in that aspect. Over all I like how you flipped it.

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#6 [url]

Apr 24 09 4:20 AM

Definitely a good job flipping this sample. Personally, I'm having a hard time making it groove (big band stuff is a little bit away from what I'm used to working with)...hopefully I'll come up with an idea or so this afternoon :)

-Lodger

Board Certified Funk Master

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#10 [url]

Apr 25 09 5:23 AM

Thanks for your comment, formal! I'm really glad you liked it. The glitch tricks were done by reducing the end point of a sample to a very small amount while the pad is in gate mode and then while in sample>resample mode, I had it set to auto record when the sound played when i triggered the pad, I held the loop/mark button and recorded the sample as long as i needed it. The longer your short sample, the lower the pitch of the "glitchy" loop.

I got a chance to check out both of yours and I'm also impressed: this was a much less obvious sample to flip (i.e. no obvious loops in the track to gram and experiment with.) It really taught me a few new tricks, as well.

z32- very nice usage of forward chops...I tried this but had a hell of a time. I really liked the interplay before the 3/4 feel of the song and the 4/4 sound of the rhythm of your drums. The only constructive criticism I can give is that having some sort of faster or grooving rhythmic element used during bars that build up to your main loop would have made it seem a little more dynamic. Fantastic job!

Formal- nice variety of chops! my favorite part was at the end when everything started rolling backwards...it was sort of a jazzy thing that reminded me of the reverse tape stuff in later beatles albums (i.e. strawberry fields forever.) The constrictive criticism i can offer is that you might occasionally find other little chops or textures from the track to fleetingly throw in your more extended loops (ie. 4 bar loops.) Additionally, you might want to find ways of segueing into bigger track changes such as the switch into the reverse; doing this can really add to the continuity of your track. Overall, this one stands out in my attention as one of your better tracks, as it just has a stronger hook and has a very nicely selected group of samples.

At any rate, another nice round, guys. I look forward to #4! With everything we're throwing down, people are really going to start seeing what the sampletrak can do! Who picks the track this time around?

-Lodger

Board Certified Funk Master

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#11 [url]

Apr 25 09 9:06 AM

lodger - thanks for the well thought out feedback. On my next track I will work on making my sequences flow better. This was the first time I used the "playlist" function on the 224. Only having 8 sequences was tricky for me. I had more content/chops to use, but I didn't know what to do with it so I just threw somethin together. These battles have made me put a track together when I'd normally give up and move to the next one. And I agree after a few more battles we'll have plenty of quality tracks to mix/mess with.   :D

juxt - do you wanna pick the track for beatbattle 4?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Apr 27 09 7:01 PM

Lodger,

Ill beat, my dude.. Chopped that shit to DEATH...I dig it.. You're on some Ras G shit.. keep it up, yo..

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help