Remove this ad

formal

224 ninja

Lead

Apr 1 09 4:34 PM

Tags : :

..... everybody is doin it so how about us?
Speak up if you'd be down to do a quick flip to show off our sampletraks! I can pick the first sample if you guys are interested. It'd be normal rules.

1. original sample only
2. outside drums okay
3. outside bass/synth okay
4. 1 week time limit.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

juxt

Caught in the Trap

#1 [url]

Apr 3 09 9:40 AM

yeah that sounds good.  I would say do like the SP forum battles- original sample only, make your own bass and drums out of the sample.  but I'm down no matter the rules

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#2 [url]

Apr 3 09 8:47 PM

Juxt - Do you have a smartmedia card so I could send you a file to work on a collab type thing? I'm gonna email RobP and see if he wants to do the battle, but I think a collab would be fun since we don't have many people yet. The forum still isn't showing up on google. I might make a random craigslist post with the forum link to get some people in here cuz that will always show up in google.

Quote    Reply   

juxt

Caught in the Trap

#3 [url]

Apr 4 09 11:23 AM

no i dont have a sm card.  if i could find one cheap maby Ill get one soon. yeah man we can def use some more members in the battle.  good idea with the craigslist post

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#4 [url]

Apr 10 09 8:19 AM

Well, we need to get something going!  Should I just post a track to chop up or do you wanna wait a bit longer? I was thinking that a music track + drum break would be nice since all songs don't have a break to chop. That way it keeps everything fair n' even. I'd like to get this started asap cuz I'm not sure when there will be another chance for a ST224 battle. A 3way battle is better then none!

+ it will give new members examples of what the ST224 can do

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#6 [url]

Apr 13 09 9:46 AM

I'm definitely interested. However, what do you mean be original sample? are we allowed to track using other midi tools? external fx? soundsources? let me know.

-Lodger

Board Certified Funk Master

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#7 [url]

Apr 13 09 10:56 AM

Original Sample, as in, Only use the submitted sample as your  only sound source. No external FX, no external midi. It's just gonna be you, the sampletrak, and the provided samples. This is really to show off what we can all do with the ST224 alone. I am open to using a synth to create a bass line though (sampled into the 224 of course). But we'll all know if you go overboard with it ;)

So I guess to refresh the rules:

1. Use the selected sample as your main soundsource
2. Using your own drums is okay, but there will be a Break provided and encouraged to use
3. Using a synth/vst is okay, but needs to be sampled into the 224
4. Trackin out into a DAW is okay, but sequencing on the 224 is highly encouraged
5. Sampletrak FXs only

Bottom line, put the Sampletrak to work and be creative while yer at it!

The drop is HERE

Quote    Reply   

lodger

Last Action Hero

#9 [url]

Apr 17 09 1:03 PM

Here's my contribution- a track called "Herbs and Spices". To keep within the guidelines of the competition, I avoided treating or digitally re-editing the sounds i.e. time stretch in Cubase, where it was tracked. Although it isn's as tidy as I'd prefer, I think that it does demonstrate some of the cool stuff you can do with a Sampletrak, particularly the resample. I hope you all enjoy- feedback is welcomed.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#10 [url]

Apr 17 09 3:55 PM

Wow! This sounds great! The mix is super clean and I think not having it "tidy" creates a bit of dynamics to the track.  I love how you put the effects and other st224 functions to use. Since you were the first to submit you can select the next track to chop up for the next battle. "Herbs and Spices" eh?  Have you heard the instrumental sessions mf doom put out called Special Herbs? It's good stuff and I highly suggest checkin it out for some inspiration.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

lodger

Last Action Hero

#14 [url]

Apr 18 09 7:43 AM

Formal,
Nice job on the track! I'm way impressed that it was all thrown together on the fly w/o sequencing. I personally don't have the chops to play it all in live. I think the only bit of constructive criticism that i could offer is that you might want to consider leading in with your hook (i.e. using it more often as the "selling point" of your track) or finding several hooks to vary things up. As for MF Doom, he's brilliant; there are no two ways about that. I haven't checked out that album yet, but believe me, as soon as I a get a chance, I'm on it. :D

Quote    Reply   

formal

224 ninja

#15 [url]

Apr 18 09 8:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback lodger :)  I think for the next battle I will focus some more energy on it and sequence something out proper. It always surprises me how much the tracks change when you record them out. When I play live my mind hears one thing, but once it's digital and all recorded it takes a different form. Lets make tomorrow (sunday) the deadline for this beat so we can get started on the next one

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 27 09 7:27 PM

Speaking of MF Doom's Special Herbs, I just picked up Vols. 5 & 6 on CD last Thursday.. Great stuff. Real loopy stuff to get lost in and dude has an insane ear for sampling some of the wildest stuff..I have to admit, when I first heard some of Doom's solo stuff back in '04 I didn't really know what to make of it.. His rhymes and flows were too weird and his beats were a bit off kilter for a guy who has 36 Chambers, Illmatic, and The Infamous on constant play in my whip.. I gave him a chance one evening (after some herbal therapy) and realized that dude has got a great sense of humor, thinks 3000 miles outside of the box as a producer, but more importantly, it's his own brand of hiphop and he's having fun putting it all together.. I didn't know he was a member of KMD until one of homies told me.. Shame on me..

Disciple of the boombap.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help