Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 15 13 9:25 AM

Tags : :

And would you recommend I get one?

Basically, I'm looking for a good, cheap, tweakable drum machine capable of making some analogue kinda sounds. I've got the ST for sampling realistic drums from my record collection etc, so I want a drum machine for making those synthetic, analogue sounding drums for when I need them. Think along the lines of 808 type kicks and snares etc. (I know I won't get EXACTLY that but still . . .)

I know that the ER 1 is virtual analogue but that doesn't bother me at the moment, real analogue drum machines are too expensive, and I don't want those typically digital or PCM sampled sounds you get from a lot of other digital drum machines. I've read a lot of people saying that the snares you can make with the ER 1 are no good . . . But I've also read enough people disputing those claims saying that if you tweak it enough you can get some pretty decent ones.

So, anyone here got one? How do you find it? Can YOU make decent kicks and snares with it?

Cheers!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

z32

Master Guru

#1 [url]

Mar 15 13 2:34 PM

Can't help you there I'm sorry. I got the Boss dr550mk2. it has samples. It does have a 808 and 909 kit and because Boss is Roland they are pretty good. It is not much tweakable though. I usually sample them so I can tweak them. but that was not your question :-D

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 15 13 3:02 PM

Thanks anyway but yeah, I'm looking for something pretty tweakable. I'm pretty set on getting one of these but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with them.

I've also been looking at the Boss HC hand clapper and PC 2 percussion synthesizer pedals which I'm pretty sure are both purely analogue. Problem is they're pretty limited compared to the electribe (no patterns etc) and seem to fetch pretty high prices for what they are.

Again, thanks anyway though

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 17 13 6:23 AM

Yeah I've had a look at the monotribe, I love the monotron delay and duo which I already own but I'm not sure that the drum sounds on the monotribe are very tweakable

Quote    Reply   

z32

Master Guru

#7 [url]

Mar 18 13 2:44 PM

Nice :-D let us know. About the monotribe, no they are not very tweakable. I found out after I posted. the drums are what the are and they are very crude. The oscilators are very tweakable though. I don't understand why they left tweakable drums out, that would make the little box even more interesting

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 19 13 5:03 AM

Yeah I know, maybe they have something even bigger and better lined up for the future with even more oscilators, a better ribbon controller (like the one on the monotron duo,) proper MIDI connections and tweakable drums. Would probably be more than double the price though haha.

Anyway . . .

The Electribe arrived today (only ordered it on sunday, that was fast!) I'm really impressed with it so far. I've only been messing about with the factory patterns and tweaking them a bit but they're really quite good! The kicks and snares I've heard and messed around with so far are exactly what I was hoping for so I have no complaints at all. It's pretty easy to make synthetic hi-hat and rim type sounds too and the strange bleeps and bloops you can get out of it are great! The delay is really inspiring too, it can only be applied to your whole kit but that's fine with me (perfect for digital style dub stuff which I also like to make sometimes.) Also, the unit is actually smaller than I thought which is a bonus because I'm running out of space for my equipment haha.

So yeah, I'd recommend the Korg Electribe ER1 to anyone else looking for a cheap (virtual) analogue style drum machine

Quote    Reply   

z32

Master Guru

#9 [url]

Mar 19 13 2:21 PM

cool man! I've just read that you can also record realtime movement of the oscilators, amp or effect parameters. I love that! it's an interesting machine and I've never looked at it closely. I looked at the sampler and if I can find it for a nice price I will buy it. But this is also very interesting, I love drummachines.
Did you buy it new?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Mar 20 13 9:43 AM

Yeah, the realtime movement recording is definitely a cool feature, using that along with the step sequencer should be pretty fun. I've yet to read the manual though, I've still only been messing around with the factory settings/sounds. The sub basses you can make on it are mad and I just love the delay!!

I bought it used off of ebay for £120 plus £10 postage. Probably could have got it for a bit cheaper if I waited a little longer for other listings to pop up but I was too eager haha

Quote    Reply   

fac

zoom noob

#14 [url]

Apr 12 13 2:41 PM

Hey. I'm a new member here and a big fan of the Korg ER-1. I've used one for 10+ years. Sold it a few years ago to help financing a Machinedrum, and had to buy another one after a few months. It's the first piece of gear I miss so much I have to buy another one back.

You know what my second most-missed piece is? The Sampletrack. I bought one new in 2000. Used it in a couple albums and sold it in 2005. I've missed that crunch ever since, and I just bought another one (new in box) last week.

The ER-1 and ST-224 complement each other very well. One is clean and bright, and the other one lo-fi and crunchy. And you can run each of them into the other for extra fun.

Next to buy on my list is a Zoom RhythmTrack 234. My first piece of gear ever (which I also stupidly sold) and a great sounding drum machine IMO. Those Korg Volca things also look cool.

Quote    Reply   

fac

zoom noob

#15 [url]

Apr 12 13 3:34 PM

Can YOU make decent kicks and snares with it?

-mouthless

You can make pretty good kicks with the ER-1, but snares are not really its forte. They are always too plasticky, too synthy. I use it more as a complementary percussion generator.

In the past couple years, I've had my ER-1 always going through my Korg Monotron. I lose the stereo image, but it sounds so much better.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 16 13 3:34 PM

"have you seen this? I really like the bass synth and the drumcomputer. They will be 150 dollars

http://youtu.be/otudjl1FLB8"

I literally just signed in to post a link to those bad boys! Only found out about them today, they look (and sound) so cool! I'd love to get all three when they come out if I can afford it. The beat one is pretty much exactly what I was looking for and for near enough the same price I bought the Electribe for, damn! Definitely need to get one.
 I really love the way korg are heading lately - a lot of people might class a lot of their new products as "toys" but I think they're great - perfect for the style of music I want to make.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 16 13 3:38 PM

"You can make pretty good kicks with the ER-1, but snares are not really its forte. They are always too plasticky, too synthy. I use it more as a complementary percussion generator."

I understand. I've had no problem with the snares so far though to be honest, I know they could use a little more weight behind them but it's not TOO bad, it's fine for what I want to use them for. I can always sample them into the Sampletrak and layer/resample with another snare if need be

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

May 1 13 11:52 PM

One cool thing about the ER-1 is you can get some crazy R2D2 sounds when you tweak it just right. As far as getting the snares you want, it's just a matter of pitching the wave form a little bit slow and finding the right wave form the ones you select from. It's not the hardest drum machine to use, but it's a bit more techno/house sound than true hip hop grit. There are a few samples in the er-1 that you can't change, but not too many. Most of it is just the VA nature of the er-1. If this isn't the drum machine for you, try a es-1 or ESX, because you can sample what sounds you like(from your vinyl, .wav files off the internet, your gear, microphones, etc), and then sequence those from the 16 step sequencer.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help